“Mom guilt” comes in all shapes and sizes. It turns up when you order pizza for the second time this week because there is no food in the house to cook for dinner. It says hello when you realize your child left the house with miss-matched shoes or uncombed hair. Coping with guilt seems to come with the parenting territory, particularly for moms. Whether it’s because you’re working outside the home, working from home, or are a stay at home mom who needs some extra “me time,” it’s time to let go of the guilt.
When you appropriately prioritize your needs your family and children will benefit as well! “Me time” is essential for mom’s physical, mental and emotional health! When you allow yourself to pause from the busyness of life and focus on taking care of your needs you will find yourself feeling refreshed and re-energized. This could be anything from enjoying a frozen coffee drink while strolling through Target to hiring a babysitter to take a pottery class. Those feelings from being recharged will spill over into positive interactions with your kids! By taking regular “me time,” you are also modeling for your child appropriate self-care routines that are essential for a healthy and well-balanced life.
Families and moms who decide their child should attend daycare may also feel a bit of “mom guilt.” Some may struggle with the choice to be separated from their young child for a large portion of the day. It’s important to remember that your child will benefit from your example to pursue your career and passions. Here are 5 additional reasons your child will benefit from daycare and why you should let go of the guilt:
- Social Interaction with Peers- children will develop social and emotional skills as they interact with other adults and children of a similar age. They learn to express their thoughts and feelings with each other and in turn, learn to recognize and accept other’s emotions.
- Consistent Routine- daycares often provide a predictable schedule and routine. This helps children anticipate transitions throughout the day and feel safe and secure because they know what to expect.
- Learning Life Skills- a daycare environment often promotes children learning basic life skills at a young age. You’d be amazed at what your child is able to accomplish, from putting on their own coat to pouring themselves a drink to washing their hands.
- Kindergarten Readiness- many daycares, such as AppleTree & Gilden Woods, provide a curriculum which develops children’s language, physical, social, and cognitive skills that will provide a strong foundation for his or her future educational journey.
- You’re Still the Parent- At the end of the day, you get to make the decisions that impact your child. You’re the one they crave attention & affirmation from, no one can replace you!
For families who decide that daycare is the right choice for their child, AppleTree & Gilden Woods offers many resources to build a strong partnership with families. We offer our proprietary AppleCam, a secure webcam access to your child’s room, which allows you to check in on your child throughout the day. We also provide an AppleGram, so parents can easily access their children’s feedings/meals & snacks, medication distribution, rest time/nap time, and activity & interest information from their day on a computer or mobile device.
To learn more about AppleTree & Gilden Woods and the programs offered for Infants, Toddlers, Preschool and School Age, click here! You can also click here to find a location near you and schedule your personal tour today!
The decision for a child to attend daycare is one that every family needs to make for themselves. There is no right or wrong choice! But you can rest assured that children who do attend daycare will reap the benefits! Doing what works for you, your child and your family to stay healthy, happy and connected is what matters. Take pride in your decision to have a career or take “me time” as it allows you to stay focused on being the best parent you can be and enjoying your child.